Before jumping right into the ranking of the 5 best open pod systems, let’s understand some basic terms and features: open pod systems are reliable and long-lasting devices that feature refillable pods that can be unplugged or unscrewed and refilled with the e-liquid flavour of your choice.
Benefits of open pod systems
You can enjoy different e-liquid flavour varieties given that you can refill them with any e-liquid flavour or nicotine strength you want.
It’s cheaper in the long run to refill a pod than buy one every time your pre-filled e-liquid is finished.
- More environmentally friendly.
You don’t produce as many waste pods as you would with closed pod systems that can’t be refilled and must therefore be thrown away when the pre-filled e-liquid is finished. We also have a recycling program you can be a part of to make sure you are being environmentally friendly while enjoying our products.
Now that you are as excited as we are about open pod systems, let’s find out which are the best options for you in 2023!
Please note that there may be open pod systems that have been available for a while but still stand out as the best in our opinion. We also acknowledge the differences in taste and preference among new and experienced vapers.
Choosing open pod systems
When you are trying to choose the right open pod system for you, we recommend you start by analyzing its features. For instance, a good open pod system is easy to refill and leakproof, but that is not enough to make it great. In order to stand out, they need supporting features. To continue our search for the best products our search parameters looked at the following considerations:
- E-liquid capacity
- Battery capacity
- Design features
- Display mechanism
- Vaping style
- Airflow control
This thorough list of features allowed us to produce the ultimate list of the best open pod systems to make sure we can confidently point you in the right direction and help you pick your next favourite product. Let’s dive right in!
Best open pod systems 2023
1. Caliburn A2S Pod System
First on our list of best open pod systems is the Caliburn A2S pod system by UWELL, featuring a 1.8ml top-fill pod. The A2S has an e-liquid viewing window that helps you know your e-liquid levels and when you need to refill. It is easy to use, has an innovative top-fill system, and is very durable.
- When it’s time to refill, simply remove the mouthpiece from the top to reveal the pod (the CRC version A2S pod has a top-fill port, not a side-fill port, as indicated on the UWELL website)
- The top fill spring-loaded port has an automatic press lock that allows you to refill your cartridge while on the go without causing any mess
- The automatic press lock also prevents leaks when vaping
- Once refilled, simply replace the mouthpiece and wait for 10 minutes to let the wick saturate. If you don’t wait, you may experience a burnt taste, which you don’t want.
- Since the Caliburn A2S is a buttonless device, you don’t need to turn it off when refilling.
- It has a sleek and durable Aluminium Alloy construction
- Rechargeable 520 mAH battery (type-c charging)
- Draw activation: fixed mouth-to-lung (MTL)
- Multicolour LED battery indicator (green, blue, red)
- Safety features include: Short-circuit, open circuit prompt, low voltage, and timeout protection features
2. Caliburn X
Next on our list is the Caliburn X, which is a great option for vapers looking for a more sophisticated open pod system than the Caliburn A2S. You’ll get a more powerful rechargeable battery (850 mAH) and a high-tech display. It also has an OLED display screen that shows the battery life, voltage, power output, puffs, and coil resistance.
The Caliburn X comes with a large e-liquid window with a capacity of 3mL, which means you’ll be able to enjoy a long and mouth-watering experience before refilling. Just like the Caliburn A2S, this Caliburn X also features a top-fill leak-free pod. The pod features a leak-resistant spring-loaded top-filling port underneath the removable mouthpiece.
- The Caliburn X (CRC version) is also compatible with Caliburn X replacement pods
- It has an OLED screen (showing battery life, voltage, power output, puffs, and coil resistance)
- 850 mAH rechargeable battery (type-c charging)
- External airflow control (side airflow adjustment)
- Dual firing pod system (activated via a firing button or by puffing)
- Adjustable wattage (5 to 20w)
- Magnetic pod housing with a large e-liquid viewing window
3. SMOK Nord Pro
The SMOK Nord Pro – 25W is yet another great open pod system to consider. The Smok Nord Pro may not have an OLED screen like the Caliburn X, nor does it have an e-liquid viewing window, but it sure makes up for it. It comes with a very powerful rechargeable battery (1100 mAH) and a great e-liquid capacity (3.3ml). The device also has a side e-liquid port with a silicone plug that prevents leaks. What’s more, it may have a better battery life since OLED screens still consume some power, even if it’s not as much as LED screens.
The SMOK Nord Pro is among the latest generation of already popular open pod devices. Besides offering more capacity, the refillable pod reverses to adjust the airflow resistance (reversible airflow control – DTL/MTL).
- The two differently-sized air inlets on either side, coupled with a different pod installation direction, result in varying air volume.
- Simple control. Automatic power adjustment, single control button
- Secure coil lock: Child-resistant certified pod
- Varying power output range (3W-25W)
4. Vaporesso XROS Nano
Our next great device is the Vaporesso XROS Nano (CRC). The vape pod system has a sizable 1000 mAH rechargeable internal battery (type-c charging) and a 2ml refillable e-liquid capacity. The device is sold with mesh pods featuring removable mouthpieces. The pods have spring-loaded top-fill ports.
- To refill the e-liquid, simply pull the removable mouthpiece covering the top fill port and refill. The ports have spring-loaded locks that prevent leaks
- It has a strong power range of 11-16W
- XROS Series pod-compatibility
- Airflow control slider
- Lanyard and lanyard loop
5. GeekVape Aegis X
In terms of durability, the GeekVape Aegis X is the best open pod system in 2023. The device has rugged features like a military-grade shockproof feature (810G-516.6). It is also waterproof (IP67) and dustproof. Durability aside, this pod system also offers the largest pod capacity in this list at 5.5ml.
The GeekVape Aegis X has an Obelisk Tank with a 28 mm-wide base. The tank has two large intakes and an adjustable airflow control ring. The top cap is threaded and features a wide bore drip tip.
- This is a child-resistant certified pod
- It is refillable from the top to allow easy access and prevent leaks
- Comfortable grip: Features thick rubber edges
- Powerful New 2.4-inch TFT colour screen that allows you to choose between many user interfaces that show different vital statistics and settings: power level/temperature, firing mode, coil resistance, amperage, voltage, and puff count, among others
- Sleek design: Outlined using colourful metal
- New chipset AS 2.0 offers faster response time, accuracy, and support for variable wattage and temperature control compared to previous generation pod systems
- Adjustable airflow (control ring & two large intake channels)
There is clearly a wide range of open pod systems currently available on the market and we have no doubt most of them will come with astonishing and cutting-edge features that make it very hard to make a decision. While we couldn’t possibly list every top-rated open pod system, we are still very proud of our thorough evaluation of these devices and can confidently say either one could easily become your next favourite open pod system. We strongly believe that our picks stand out above the rest and would love for you to give them a try and let us know what you think!