This may sound like a no brainer, especially for people who have smoked cigarettes or marijuana in the past, but you’d be surprised by the number of people who complain about their vape simply because they don’t know the proper way to inhale or use the device. In this article, we’ll explore the proper vaping technique, in an attempt to help vapers get the most out of their device and e-liquid.
Keep it simple
If you’ve never used a vaporizer before, your best chances for success are with a simple and easy-to-use device. Variable wattage and powerful box mods may be tempting, but the abundance of adjustable features may cause more trouble than they’re worth. While you may not get the massive plumage that’s often associated with vaping, a more simple device should serve as a good stepping stone to eventually move onto these more powerful mods.
Basic starter kits
While these devices may lack all the bells and whistles seen in larger devices, basic starter kits make vapour in the same way and are often quite affordable. These basic kits often focus on portability, ease-of-use, and efficiency, all of which make them perfect for new vapers and help them excel in introducing new vapers to proper vaping technique.
- Pod vapes – These devices are distinguished by their prefilled of refillable cartridges. They can be draw or button activated and are often quite slim and easy to carry.
- AIOs – Also known as All-In-One devices, AIO kits condense all the classic elements of a vape mod into a smaller package. The devices are always refillable and feature replaceable coils.
- E-cigarettes – Serving as a precursor to all modern vaping mods, e-cigarettes present vapers with an almost fuss-free system that just works. These devices have been somewhat replaced by pod vapes, and also feature prefilled or refillable cartridges.
- Disposable e-cigarettes – These devices are becoming less popular among vapers and should only be considered if no other option is available. That being said, they are incredibly simple to use and will offer a similar vaping style to smoking a cigarette.
Almost all vape kits will also come with some sort of instructional booklet that should give vapers a decent sense of how their new device should be used. That being said, these manuals are often worded in strange ways, due to translation errors from Chinese manufacturers, thankfully there are also often useful diagrams that should help you better understand whatever vape you may have.
Selecting the right e-juice
Choosing the right e-juice is one of the biggest parts of the vaping experience, but goes way beyond picking a flavour you enjoy. Nicotine preference may depend solely on the user, but selecting the right amount of nicotine is crucial for any vaper and can make or break anyone’s vaping experience. It should also be noted that high nicotine e-liquids generally come in smaller bottles, while lower nicotine e-liquids will come in larger bottles.
- Higher nicotine: 12mg to 60mg – best with lower power devices
- Medium nicotine: 6mg to 12mg – best with low to medium power devices
- Low nicotine: 0mg to 6mg – best with higher power, but can fit all devices
Determining the right amount of nicotine for you can be fairly difficult, but employees at your local vape shop should be able to help you through this process. If you are a smoker, the amount you used to consume can help determine your nicotine levels, though this can vary depending on your ability to tolerate the throat hit of higher nicotine e-liquids.
How to inhale vapour
When you take your first hit from a vape, the way you inhale can completely make or break the entire experience. An improper inhale can lead to a harsh throat hit, heavy coughing, and even an unpleasant rush of nicotine. Unfortunately, many new vapers encounter this problem often and it can deter new vapers from ever picking up their device again.
While there is a plethora of vape devices on the market, there are basically two styles of inhalation techniques: mouth-to-lung and direct-to-lung. In this section, we’ll break down both styles, as well as their pros and cons.
Also known as MTL, this style of vape is most often seen in smaller vapes with high resistance coils. Regardless of the mod, all MTL vapes feature an incredibly restrictive draw that’s designed to mimic the sensation of drawing off a cigarette. This style while inhaling produces far less vapour and is best for stealthy vapes. The technique to draw off an MTL vape is quite simple and requires vapers to;
- Slowly draw vapour into your mouth for a few seconds
- Hold the vapour in your mouth for a second or two
- Take in a small breath of air and use it to inhale the vapour into your lungs
- Exhale the vapour
More commonly known as a DTL hit, direct-to-lung inhales generally work best with low resistance coils with greater amounts of airflow. Taking a drag off a DTL device will feel like sucking air through a thick straw, and will offer up a smooth and plentiful amount of vapour. When taking a draw off a DTL device, be sure to;
- Quickly draw vapour directly into your lungs. This should feel like taking a deep breath
- Exhale the vapour almost immediately and enjoy your massive cloud
If you aren’t sure which draw is best for you, or if your device has highly adjustable airflow, look to your nicotine strength to best gauge what style you should use. Generally speaking, high nicotine e-liquids (12mg to 60mg) work best with MTL devices, while low nicotine liquids (0mg to 6mg) are best for DTL inhales. Medium nicotine amounts (6mg to 12mg) should work with either device, however, 6mg is generally the cut-off for DTL inhales.